November 21, 2004

First Day on Snow!

Yahoo! My first day on snow!!

The season finally got underway here in the Northwest. Mt. Baker is an area north of Seattle that always gets a lot of snow and they opened today. My thoughts for the first day:

Wow! I've forgotten what new ski boots feel like. After a run or two, my toes were numb, and I had to unbuckle after every run. I worked on trying to get a feel for how much I need to get the left boot canted, and by working with duct tape (4 pieces of duct tape equal 1mm by the way), I need to have my left boot canted about 1.5 mm.

It's funny how your body uses muscles. Even though I work out consistently, I can feel that comfortable ache in the skiing-specific muscles. Unfortunately, at age 50, I can also feel the ache in the old knees.

Another strange thought: as a skier, I was truly in the minority today. I bet 90% of the people up there were boarders... don't skiers get excited anymore?

Now I can't wait until next week!

No comments: