November 26, 2007

Finally on Snow!

Well, the 6 months of hard work rehabbing my knee paid off, and my son and I went skiing this last weekend! All in all, it was a great time with decent snow, blue skies and less people that I expected.

I was actually surprised that I wasn't more scared about skiing since this weekend was the first time I had been skiing after tearing up my knee, but I guess after 44 years of skiing you can suppress that fear pretty easily. We managed to get in about 25 runs or so over the weekend and I will admit to starting pretty easy on greens and blues and staying away from most bumps (2 runs on black diamonds) until my knee is a little bit stronger, but from a technique and speed standpoint I really don't think my skiing was all that much different from any other first day of the season.

The only aftereffect is that my knee is slightly stiff (but in a good way) but I think that's attributable more to the 5 hour car ride home than the skiing itself!

Let's pray for snow as the ski areas everywhere seem to need it!

No comments: