November 12, 2005

2005/2006 First Day on Snow

Yahoo! Even though I've only been on snow one day, it already feels like a better season than last year.

I went to a local area, Stevens Pass. On the first run, we had beautiful cordouroy to get warmed up, and then had a day that was fantastic for the second day of the season. What a difference a year makes!

My skiing thought for the season? Fore/Aft balance... what's yours?

A common theme mentioned by PSIA examiners I've skiied with, as well as a CSIA (Canada) Level 4 examiner suggested that a lot of skiers tend to put too much pressure on the front of the boot, effectively locking up the ankle. I concentrated on maintaining a light pressure on the front of the boot, and reacting to changes in the terrain by flexing from the ankles "up".

Anyway, it felt very balanced... we'll keep working on it!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Makes sense.

The point that I was trying to make is that if a skier is exerting too much forward pressure on the boot cuff, they effectively remove the ability of the ankle to flex, forcing the skier to use knee flexion exclusively.

Am I offbase?